Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Meeting “Lola” Delia


(AKA Lola Delia’s “Groupies”)



The date was November 12, 2011. Saturday. Apparently, it wasn’t just any typical Saturday that I usually have. That Saturday was but one of the best days ever to happen in my existence.


Despite the long-acquired knowledge I have about the organization and the affairs involved in it, it was only my first time to attend the free film screening by SOFIA (Society of Filipino Archivists for Film). So, you can say how excited I was for the twelfth of November to come. What made me even more excited AND thrilled was that the month’s featured film was the 1952 fantasy flick Taong Paniki (“Bat People”), starred by Jaime dela Rosa and Delia Razon. It’s the kind of the films those from the Golden Era and earlier decades that I’ve been watching out for. Right after finding out about the featured film, I made up my mind that at long last; I would finally attend SOFIA’s screening for the first time, ever.


Fortunately, I didn’t come to the screening all by myself; I was able to tag Pauline, a friend/fellow classics freak, along with me.

CCP :)

And so, we went to the venue at Cultural Center of the Philippines the Tanghalang Manuel Conde or the Dream Theater. Prior to our little journey to CCP, Pau and I had an exchange of thoughts.






Dadating kaya si Delia Razon mamaya?” (“Do you think Delia Razon will come to the screening later?”) I asked my friend. I was informed once that during the screenings the surviving cast member/s or their relatives were invited as guests. Knowing this, I already had a hunch; no, an expectation that somehow, the film’s lead actress will make an appearance.

Hindi ‘yan,” (“I don’t think so,”) Pau said, confidently.

Our discussion progressed as we tried to reason out why or why not Delia Razon would come to CCP. Despite Pau’s response, I remained determined with my notion that Delia Razon may probably appear later that day.

Let us have a fast forward to the screening itself. Before the Taong Paniki was shown, a short film and a documentary about Richard Abelardo (director of Taong Paniki) were exhibited. Aside from those, another great surprise for us, especially for Pau, was unraveled right before us.

The emcee then was announcing something, which turned out to be like, “Let us all acknowledge the presence of the lead actress of the film, none other than Ms. Delia Razon.” Indeed, Ms. Razon was really there with us in that theatre. Just a few rows behind us (well, it was only a small venue), there sat the beautiful actress, smiling and waving her hand at the emcee as well as to us who managed to crane our necks to get a sight of her.

Sabi ko naman sa iyo, eh!” (“I told you so!”) – From me, to Pau. This was only one of the ramblings we had the moment we saw the lead actress amongst us. Certainly, both Pau and I have gotten so excited from that very minute, onwards. Hello, it’s THE Delia Razon of the Philippine Cinema, sitting behind us!

As for the motion picture…  It was absolutely another masterpiece not only of LVN Pictures but of the Philippine movies, as well. Good thing it was still salvaged and was shown to the public though some of its parts were already missing [Initially at the opening credits, all that can be seen was blank white with the words “’Taong Paniki’ (1952, incomplete)”]. Despite its incompleteness, the film was impressive; with Abelardo, dela Rosa and Razon, among the other names involved with the said film, is there anything I should ask for more? Meanwhile, I was a bit distracted with the fact that the lead actress we were just seeing on the mini-silver screen was ALSO WATCHING WITH US.

Eventually, the film came to its conclusion. However, the affair wasn’t totally over yet. An open forum was held, too; Ms. Razon herself had a little talk about the making of the film and her film career back then. After that, things weren’t still done! The organizers also had a little gathering for our snacks.


The first set of our photo ops.
Lola Delia, with yours, truly.
Guess what? Ms. Razon remained in the venue with us, the audience. This is where the best part of that affair began to take place. I actually can’t recall how things occurred; they were happening a bit fast during that moment. One minute, Pau and I were just listening to her interview with some La Salle students who also attended the screening; the next second, we were already done with our respective photo ops with her and having fun chatting away with one another. “We,” as in Ms. Delia Razon, Pau and I! Just the three of us, exactly! We have gotten 
engrossed with our conversation that it took several times for the organizers to insist us into having our own share of the snacks.  Obviously, the three of us were enjoying ourselves!


Lola Delia with Pau
On the other hand, I can still remember one point in our conversation, when we told Lola Delia that we are fans of hers, and of Filipino classic films, in general (Throughout our conversations, she iterated that she is our “Lola” or grandmother; hence, giving me now a valid reason to call her so. :) haha). Perhaps it was with our physical appearance of being teeny-boppers that made her respond, in a serene manner: “Hindi; mga nanay at tatay ninyo, mga lolo at lola ninyo, sila ang [henerasyon ng] mga fans ko.” (“No; [the contemporaries of] your parents and grandparents are my fans.") She then added, with a smile on her face, “Lola ninyo ako, lola.” (“I’m your grandmother.”)


With some of the audiences who attended the screening

Just the three of us. :)

Nevertheless, we earned success in convincing her that we truly are her fans. That didn’t do anything to interrupt our engrossing conversation. In fact, like I’ve mentioned, we became even more consumed with our chitchat that we almost forgot to take notice of the food that were served right beside us. Finally, after the insistence of the organizers, Lola Delia told us, “Tara, kain na muna tayo.” (“Here, let’s eat.”) 


"May listik pa ba ako?" Ms. Razon asked us after an anecdote and having a drink.



The afternoon went on to the early evening. The people gradually began to leave from the venue. Save for Pau and I; another La Salle student (who needed to have a photo op with Lola Delia); the organizers and the guests; there were no other of those who came earlier as audience. The day should have been called already, for me and the partner-in-crime. Yet, we stayed; Pau insisted so. Why? Oh, we’re just waiting for Lola Delia to be done chatting with the SOFIA people and to ask her for still another photo op! “Groupie,” I recall telling Pau several times while we were waiting; I just felt like it’s the appropriate word to be used for the two of us at that point.



With the SOFIA


All in all, it was but an ultimately memorable event. From the film showing being able to see a “lost” classic film, for FREE! ―to the meet-and-greet part with Lola Delia Razon… Those lengthy talks and numerous photo ops with her were surely unforgettable! How could we not enjoy and savor every moment of it?




Lola Delia was very willing to tell us various stories from her own experiences; I can say that say that she is a certified Lola, with the reminders from the anecdotes she related to us. There’s even this quote from her, when she was relating her reminders to her children and grandchildren regarding their studies: “’Pag wala kang diplomang maisasabit sa dingding natin, ikaw ang isasabit ko sa dingding!” (“If you aren’t going to have your own diploma to be displayed on our wall, you’ll be the one I’m going to put on and display there!”) From then on, I also knew that Delia Razon is a very humble, down-to-earth, real person with genuine beauty, inside and out. When she talked to us, it’s as if we’ve known each other long enough to have that conversation when, in fact, it was only our first time to meet her! She is a woman of faith, too. Lola Delia, like a typical grandmother would be doing, kept on telling us to pray, to hold on to our faith in God, while keeping positive thoughts in our mind. Additionally, she was also very accommodating to those who wanted to have the photo ops with her; whoever asked for it, she’d go right away. What’s more, Lola Delia was even the one to hold us nearer to her while we pose for our shots, to the point of embracing us before the camera makes emits a flash. No wonder people love her and her fellow stars way back then. Now, will you please tell me, who would be able to forget and get over with those instances???

And for the final shot!
"It was certainly a pleasure, a fulfillment and an honor to meet her in person; such a memorable event of my own existence. :)"



Naturally, Pau and I had soooo much fun for that Saturday afternoon. We were of course overwhelmed with happiness after all that happened. A part of our “addiction” for the classics has been fulfilled at a certain degree, right then and there. Moreover, it’s not every Saturday of our mundane lives that we get to meet such a great actress like Lola Delia Razon. Is it?




***


Some of the people there approached and asked us if we attended the film screening for a school requirement or what. Of course, we both shook our heads, almost in unison. “Fans lang po kami ng classic films,” (“We’re just fans of classic films,”) we answered with a little pride.

“Oh, wow.” That, and a hint of amazement on their faces, was their general reaction. :D




The first photo is  mine. The rest are Pau's. Yeah. So much for the cam that I borrowed.

1 comment:

lhenne said...

This is so nice. Ngayon ko lang nakita kasi medyo ngayon lang ulit ako nag-scan ng topics sa candymag.