PART I
I learned to become a dreamer the day I discovered where some of my passions lay, waiting of my realization of their existence.
I learned to become a dreamer the day I discovered where some of my passions lay, waiting of my realization of their existence.
***
It was during my sixth grade when I discovered about the Radio Broadcasting category in the Campus Journalism competition. The category obviously involves a radio program, which was to be hosted by the student journalists, and to be held in an imaginary studio. This concept appealed to me right away. Maybe you could tell how badly I wanted to become a representative for the said category. However, I didn't make it to the sector's representing team then. A participant in the District Level must win the first place as a requirement to become a student broadcaster. Unfortunately, I was unable to bag the top rank for my category, Feature Writing; I came as a second-placer during the contest proper. I was really almost there. Sayang.
So, to console my frustration, I had to entertain myself by consistently watching, or should I say listening, to the representative's rehearsals. Since I frequently ad the chance to listen to them, some of their lines got stuck in my memory even until now. Sometimes, I try to imitate their delivery, especially with their ads. "Time Check, Time Check. Time Check is brought to you by... Kalachuchi Herbal Soap..." Or "Nita Crackers... Malutong, malinamnam!" It was enough to be my "pampalubag-loob," my sweet lemon that time.
Time check sample number 1.
And here goes number 2.
PART II
Being a dreamer, I went on with, knowing that someday, these dreams of mine might just come true.
***
Fortunately, when I reached high school, I finally became a member of our school's Radio Broadcasting team, even just for once. I was in my second year then, and the youngest one in our team, as well. Thank God I had my teammates along with me during the script-writing portion of the contest; due to nervousness, I was suddenly clueless of how to proceed with the script.
Aside from the script-writing job, I also had to sing for the ad jingles as well as serve as the improvised SFX (sound effects). With the sound effects, I had to mimic a Nokia cell phone ringtone entitled "Samba" and had to sound as robotic as possible. (I don't even know nor recall the exact reason why I had to be the SFX when my teammates have their cellphones with them.)
We didn't actually win the competition. But along the rehearsals, at least it had been such an experience for me that I will always treasure. That Nokia ringtone is PRICELESS.
PART III
For some reasons, I have carried on to another dream, wherein another passion awaits me. Yet, I may have never stopped dreaming about my previous aspiration.
***
On the contrary, the Lord seemed to have other plans for me, as far as the academic matters are concerned. At the same time, my heart reconciled with a long-discovered passion—Math. Hence, as of this writing, I am on my final year as a BS Math student at Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM). Although, I had to admit: I could still feel a bit of hangover from my Campus Journalism experience, after all these years.
Who would have thought that years and years later, despite the aversions that redirected my life's path, I would actually be a part of a REAL radio program, and set foot on a REAL radio station? Only that, I wouldn't be like the scriptwriter, not the announcer, or not even the improvised SFX guy—pun intended with the last one, of course. This time, I had to SING in that radio program.
For twice already, I had been invited to make guest appearances on DWBR 104.3 FM's Sunday night program, "Harana ng Puso," hosted by Ateneo de Manila University professor, Dr. Michael M. Coroza. The program features the present Mabuhay Singers: mother-and-daughter Ms. Ray and Ms. Emma Lucero, Ms. Cely Bautista, Mr. Jimmy Salonga, Mr. Eddie Suarez and Mr. Peping de Leon. Mrs. Sonia Roco and Dr. Noel Jusay Lacsamana are also featured in the same program. As the theme of the program, the mainstays and the guests are to sing traditional Filipino songs in every episode.
My first guesting in "Harana ng Puso" took place last March 25th, while the second one was held on September 9th. How I got invited in the program is a part of yet another story. But hey, I REALLY MADE IT THERE!
My first guesting. :)
My most "recent" appearance in the program.
These past guesting are of course, another batch of very much valuable experiences I ever had. Not to mention, I could also consider these as an achievement of sorts. It's not every now and then that one can get such a chance, to be given with that kind of opportunity and... Well, go figure.
On retrospect, I haven't given much though on having actual appearances on REAL radio programs... That is, until quite lately. Despite the circumstances, the calling of my earlier passion towards radio broadcasting may have only calmed up a little, but it haven't perished after all. Perhaps, I have not completely forgotten how much I've once wanted to be a radio announcer, even in a make-believe set up. Perhaps, too, these previous aspirations may have helped in leading me to finally setting foot on a station like DWBR, hence becoming a part of a program like "Harana ng Puso." With that, I can say that I am now living what could be one of my life-long dreams.
POSTSCRIPT
Now that I've come somewhere not-so-near yet not-so-far either...
***
And my point is?
Oh, as usual: I wanted to share some stories that amuses me to an extent, in hopes that I could also share the amusement with you, dear reader. Furthermore, I am also hoping that with what I have shared, I might be able to show you that DREAMS, NO MATTER HOW IMPROBABLE THEY COULD SEEM, DO BECOME A REALITY... Especially if we GO FOR IT and if we remain determined to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN. ^_^
The STATION. :)
More photos posted on this Facebook album.
More photos posted on this Facebook album.
***
Special thanks to:
- Ms. Ray Lucero of the Mabuhay Singers, and the rest of the Harana ng Puso family, for the helping hand and their warmest acceptance for me in the program.
- My mom, who taught me about the very last two sentences in the postscript.

No comments:
Post a Comment