Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Some Kind of a Mini-Review: Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games

Now reading.

Let me be honest with you guys.

Learning the very gist of the story creeped me out right away.

Now, delving deeper through its pages creeped me out even more.

(And for goodness' sake: I don't really use this "creep out" expression. Except for this instance, that is.)

I am grateful the books of the trilogy didn't come out during my earlier years. If I've read this way back then, I am thinking of two possibilities:

Either I wouldn't be so affected for lack of proper awareness. Or, I would be creeped out even more  than I am right now, just for the same reason; and maybe my eyes would just be opened towards the dangers of the world.

Frankly speaking: I don't think this is recommendable for the "younger readers" despite the fact that the genre of this book is intended for them. Perhaps, what makes it appear like a Young Adult fiction is due to Katniss Everdeen's sixteen years. Still, it is not enough basis to make the book of YA genre. :(

I am still on the second half of the book, and I am still waiting for more enlightenment on what made legions of readers (including one of my sisters) hooked with the story. Yes, it is such an engrossing read... But in a disturbing manner, as it turns out. It is not the first book that made me cry... But to make me cry out of disturbance, it is the first one.

Sorry to my sister, Selena. We might share the same strong passion towards books and reading, and Harry Potter and some other YA stuff. Except for this time.

 P.S.:

The stuff about war and violence and everything in between isn't new at all, is it? Even in a country like the Philippines, which had undergone through several revolutions throughout the centuries. People had to survive then. Especially, the young ones. However, I believe resorting to the murder of one another weren't actually in the list of their options then. Just saying.

No comments: