Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Bon Voyage, Kuya (Because This Isn't Goodbye)

September 11, 2013. Wednesday. While many others were busy commemorating various historical and political events, I was one of the probably few souls who chose to contemplate on an entirely different matter.

It was the day of Kuya (Father) Joseph's departure to his new assignment in Nigeria. He will be staying in that faraway country for the next couple of years so as to fulfill his mission as a newly-ordained Somascan priest.

Whenever I had the chance to reflect upon Kuya's leaving, I could not keep melancholy from barging in to my senses. It has only been a short while since I had finally met and spent some time with him (how I got to know about Kuya Joseph as another member of the Mallari clan, is a part of yet another story). Could you blame me if the sentiMENTAL side of my being is easily triggered, now that my new-found cousin is about to go overseas?

Fr. Joseph M. Mallari, CRS
(Before the mass for his despedida)
On the other hand, I know that whatever sentiments I now hold must be consoled. I should understand that this mission is a crucial part of his vocation, which he is bound to fulfill. The journey he is about to take is for the betterment of those who are in dire need of the presence and guidance of someone like Kuya in their lives. The least I could do now is pray for him and also for those who are going to be involved with his mission in Nigeria.

Of course it is saddening since Kuya would be away agad-agad, just when we have begun filling in the spaces that once lie between us. Nevertheless, I am very much thankful. At this point in time, I was n't expecting to meet people who would be dear to me in an instant, let alone meet those who turn out to be related to me. And yet I was blessed with the opportunity to get to know Kuya Joseph, as well as the people who were already a part of his life. It is not everyday that this kind of blessing comes to a person's existence, is it?
With the new-found family and friends. :)
"Look-up-look-up" din! :)

Anyway, I believe this is not even a "goodbye"... because surely there are a lot more of "see you again soon" for us to come.
My first ever picture together with Father Joseph :)



***



As much as I wanted to, I was not able to join those who would send Kuya off to the airport. All the while, I was brooding here in Pampanga; only my thoughts could make it to him there in Manila. Malamang sa malamang, ilang beses na niyang nakagat ang dila niya sa kakaalala ko sa kanya.

Moving on. I was on my way out of the church after attending the Wednesday evening mass when I checked on my watch once more. It was past 6 PM; Kuya must have boarded the plane to his destination by then, I thought with a heavy heart.

All of a sudden, I had this idea of stopping by a gazebo and looking up the skies, with the hopes that I might come across a plane, i.e. Kuya's passenger plane (I have, uhm, quite weird ways of lightening up my mood). As my eyes went scanning through the scenery above, I realized how silly it was of me to even come up with such an idea. Besides, it was also becoming cloudy as dusk began to settle in. In spite of these, the power-tripper in me prevailed. I kept my hopes up as I went on searching the skies above Mariang Sinukuan's land.

Still seeing no sign of any airplane, I kind of gave up with the sky-searching part of the program. Eventually, I decided to walk back home and continued with my pensive thoughts. When I was only a couple of meters away from our doorstep, the atmosphere was filled with a faint but familiar sound.

It was that of the approaching echoes of engines rumbling overhead.

Immediately, I stopped walking and looked up.

There it was: the aircraft I've been watching out for, a few moments ago. I was slightly surprised to see the vehicle hovering up in the air. My gaze followed its blinking lights that shimmered in the dark sky until a split-second later, I found myself laughing a bit—at my own silliness; at the crazy idea of looking for an airplane; and at seeing how that idea materialized before me. After the plane disappeared into the night, I proceeded walking towards our home, somehow feeling better. I am fully aware that this is getting weirder and all, but who knows? It might just be exactly the same plane I have been waiting to cross on our perspective of the Philippine skies. ;)

[Credits to Ate Mariz Calderon and Ate Lea Canon  for the photos.]

No comments: