“This is the biggest line in the whole play,” our director once told me as we rehearsed for this very scene.
Of course, I just couldn't agree more. At that point, I already had nearly the same notion towards that particular scene of Juan and Nena NepoMusical. In fact, the moment I learned that “the biggest line” was assigned to me, I began putting pressure on myself. As goofy as it may seem at a glance, I knew I had to look at that scene as a great responsibility, a challenge on my first ever musical. What made it more challenging was the line I had to deliver wasn't something I would actually blurt out in real life.
However, this is not the real life. For several times, I had to remind myself that this is the theater we are in. And the moment I set foot on stage, it is not Sam the audience will see. Rather, a different person, one that could be far from who I really am.
It took a whole lot of courage, motivation, as well as practice to totally accept this challenge, what with a neophyte that I am. While there had been some anticipation regarding the possible reaction for the scene, we still had to expect the unexpected.
In the end, the expectations may have been exceeded. Hearing the audience's laughter echoing throughout the whole theater, and seeing our co-cast members' bright faces as we exit the stage, perhaps we could say now: it is all worth it.
***
It wouldn't have been possible without the aid and support of our directors and my fellow actors especially for this scene. So, to all of you who helped me make it through this (wehehehe), “DOMO ARIGATO~~~!!!”
***
Thanks to Among Jon Bartolome for the photo.
Can also be referred to as The Late-Comer's Ever So Delayed Reactions.
"I must have been born in a different era." Blah blah blah blah
Pages
Thursday, March 17, 2016
The Biggest Line
Labels:
acting,
Juan and Nena NepoMusical,
musical,
stage,
theater
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment